Saturday, November 29, 2014

Our Thanksgiving Table & a Piece of My Heart


I set the table the night before Thanksgiving, trying to get a head start on everything.  Hosting three years in a row now, I try to simplify each year.  However, I never can seem to do that.  Do any of you have this problem?  

I struggle with perfectionism, and hosting Holiday events is when I really see my issue exposed.  I want everything to be perfect, everyone to have the BEST time, and take an amazing experience with them as they leave my home.  


Funny thing is.. nothing ever goes as expected. {according to my expectations} I made some cute little "I'm Thankful For" sheets that everyone was supposed to fill out.. I had intended to read some scripture as well, all relating to Gratitude and Thankfulness.  But we read no scripture, and nothing was filled out.  Did this wreck the evening?  Was Thanksgiving a total bomb?  Haha, no, it was not!  It just didn't go according to plan.  I do think it would have been lovely to go around the table and express what we were thankful for.  But we all had a great Thanksgiving, and everyone got along great.


Do any of you who blog struggle with wanting everything, all the time, to be gorgeous and pin-worthy picture perfect?  Well, I do.  And sometimes I feel like it robs the moment.  Not that there is anything wrong with being creative and loving to see and share beautiful things.  It's all about perspective for me.  It's something I'm working on within myself.  



This year, I am thankful.  I'm thankful for a family who shows me unconditional love and patience.  A family who brings me laughter and joy.  I'm thankful that I'm learning about myself and though change can be hard and takes a lot of work, it's worth it.  







I truly hope you all had a lovely time celebrating Thanksgiving with your families and friends.  We are all blessed.

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

xo Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment